Earn your master's in special education online
MASTER OF ARTS DEGREE IN SPECIAL EDUCATION
Learn to make education more accessible to all students with your Master of Arts in Special Education degree earned online from Ashford University. This online graduate degree program is designed for teachers already licensed or for those who do not wish to obtain a teaching license but still want to work with K‒12 children with disabilities.
Increasingly, there is a demand for educators and professionals with specialized skills. In this program, you will be engaged in meaningful learning experiences based on relevant and current instructional practices for exceptional students.
- Design appropriate learning experiences for students with exceptionalities that are informed by diverse cultural experiences and varied patterns of learning and development
- Create a safe, inclusive, culturally responsive environment that cultivates active and effective learning for students with exceptionalities
- Plan cross-disciplinary learning experiences that promote individualized academic and social abilities, attitudes, values, interests, and career options for students with exceptionalities
- Synthesize results from multiple evidence-based assessments to guide educational decisions for individuals with exceptionalities
- Incorporate cross-disciplinary skills using evidenced-based instructional strategies for students with exceptionalities
- Evaluate how ethical principles and practice standards influence special education laws, regulations and individual professional accountability
- Construct an action research proposal that addresses local or global issues related to individuals with exceptionalities
- Integrate positive collaborative practices with various stakeholders to address the needs of students with exceptionalities across a range of learning experiences
Certification and Licensure Terms and Conditions
An online degree from Ashford University does not lead to immediate teacher licensure in any state. If you want to become a classroom teacher, contact your state's education authorities prior to enrolling at Ashford to determine what state-specific requirements you must complete before obtaining your teacher's license. Ashford graduates will be subject to additional requirements on a state-by-state basis that will include one or more of the following: student teaching or practicum experience, additional coursework, additional testing, or, if the state requires a specific type of degree to seek alternative certification, earning an additional degree. None of Ashford's online education programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), which is a requirement for certification in some states. Other factors, such as a student's criminal history, may prevent an applicant from obtaining licensure or employment in this field of study. All prospective students are advised to visit the Education Resource Organizations Directory (EROD) and to contact the licensing body of the state where they are licensed or intend to obtain licensure to verify that these courses qualify for teacher certification, endorsement, and/or salary benefits in that state prior to enrolling. Prospective students are also advised to regularly review the state's policies and procedures relating to licensure as those policies are subject to change.